Welcome to Ancestry Traveler!
We work very hard to keep the information you give us safe. We follow strict security procedures on how your personal information is stored and used, and who sees it, to help stop any unauthorized person accessing it.
In other words, as legalese-y as they are, please read these documents carefully.
What this Policy Covers
That said, you should know that we may provide third party content or links to third-party web sites or applications, or include features that allow you to connect or access third parties, such as family history research applications or social media platforms like Facebook. When you leave our Services or interact with a third-party feature, you should also read the applicable third party's privacy policies and terms of service to make sure you understand how they might collect and share information about you (everyone is different).
What Information We Collect
To put it simply, there are three main ways we collect information about you: when you give it to us, with automatic technologies and when we ask others for it. Allow us to explain.
1. Information You Provide to Us
We may ask you to provide certain information to us through various forms, features or other means throughout our Services. A couple of examples are our "Explore Your Ancestors" form and "Travel Planner" form. The types of information we may collect from you fit in two general categories:
- Personal Information: This is information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, email address, family information, or phone number.
- Non-Personal Information: This is information about you or your household that doesn't identify you personally, like your gender, travel preferences or what types of travel products you're interested in.
When we combine information that isn't Personal Information (like Non-Personal Information or Usage Information, which we explain below) with Personal Information, we treat it like Personal Information for as long as it is combined.
We will only use that information help us get you the information or services you have requested. If you contact us, your email address may be used to send you our email newsletter from time to time, and you are free to unsubscribe from this at any time using the links provided. Your personal details, including your email address, will never be made available to a third party for the purpose of sending you marketing information. Remember that email is not necessarily secure. You should never send sensitive or personal information by email.
2. Information Third Parties Provide About You
Many of our features rely on information about you that we collect from third parties, such as the family history information we request on your behalf from FamilySearch and Ancestry. We may also work with different third party data partners to supplement the information we collect directly from you. For example, our business partners may provide us with information about your ancestry so that we can give you more personalized products and travel recommendations. We might also collect information from other users like you through things like a member referral program.
3. Automatically collected information
We collect and temporarily store certain technical information about your visit for use in site management and security purposes. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- The Internet domain from which you access our Web site
- The type and version of your browser (e.g., Chrome, Internet Explorer) used to access our site
- The operating system (Windows, Mac) used to access our site
- The screen resolution of the device you are using to access our website
- The date and time you access our site
- The URLs of the pages you visit
- The URL of the website or link you used to access our website
This information is only used to help us make our site more useful for you. With this data we learn about the number of visitors to our site and the types of technology our visitors use. No attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are retained temporarily as required for security and site management purposes only.
We use "cookies" to store and collect information regarding your usage of the website. Cookies are small files placed on your computer's hard drive, or in your browser memory, when you visit our website. Your computer will only share the information in the cookie with the website that provided it, and no other website can request it. Cookies identify a computer browsing a website, not an individual.
There are two types of cookies, session and persistent. Session cookies last only as long as your web browser is open. Once you close your browser, the cookie disappears. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for longer periods of time - typically up to 3 months. Ancestry Traveler's websites may use both types of cookies.
At no time is your private information, whether stored in persistent cookies or elsewhere, shared with third parties who have no right to that information. If you do not wish to have session or persistent cookies stored on your machine, you can turn them off in your browser.
We may record in-bound and out-bound telephone calls to ensure quality of service and for training purposes.
When We Share the Information We Collect
First, we want to be clear about how we do not share information about you (what we call the “No-Nos”):
- We do not sell or rent Personal Information to unaffiliated third parties for their advertising or marketing lists.
Now that we've covered the No-Nos, let us explain how we could share with third parties. We may share information about you, including Personal Information, with third parties in the following circumstances:
- When we collaborate with third parties to provide and improve our Services. We may sometimes share information about you with our business partners or other third parties we collaborate with in connection with providing or improving our Services. This can occur, for example, when we're providing an integrated or co-branded feature with a business partner or doing a joint research project with another organization to help improve our Services.
- Our business partners when you ask for their services. We may also give you opportunities to interact with third party business partners through our Services (for instance, when you submit our "Explore My Ancestors" form). In these situations, we will either tell you we'll be sending your information before we do so or we will send you to the business partner's site or platform for you to provide the information directly to them. Remember that any information you provide to the third-party business partner, whether through us or on your own, will be subject to their privacy practices and terms and conditions.
- When you publicly post the information. As part of our Services, we may provide opportunities for you to publicly post reviews, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, which may include Personal Information and portions of your Member Travel Profile designated as public profile information, like your name or user name. Anything you share in a public forum is, obviously, public, so think carefully about what you decide to share.
- As Part of a Corporate Change. We may disclose and transfer information about you to a third party as part of, or in preparation for, a change of control, restructuring, corporate change, or sale or transfer of assets. If such a business transfer results in a material change in the treatment of your Personal Information, you will be notified by e-mail (using the primary email address on your account) or by a prominent notice on our site.
- For Legal Reasons. We reserve the right to transfer or disclose information about you to third parties for certain legal purposes. (You can read more about these in the “How We Use the Information We Collect” section above.)
- With Your Consent. There may also be other limited contexts in which we share specific types of personal information with your express consent.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from you and third parties to operate our Services, communicate with you, conduct research and development to improve or enhance our Services and our users' experience, and promote our Services. These are a few examples:
- Providing features like your free Family Pedigree and Ancestry Profiles. When you register for a member account, we use the Personal Information you provide in order to create and maintain your Family History and Travel Profile and provide you free family pedigree and ancestry profiles from our partners. Ancestry Traveler offers much more than free family histories and the information we collect as you use our Services also goes into developing and bringing you our various other features like personalized travel recommendations.
- Improving our recommendations and insights. The information we collect also helps us tailor our content and improve the way we match you to recommended offers or travel options. We're constantly working on ways to better identify and present the information that's most relevant to you.
- Communicating with you. We may use information we collect to provide you with member support or to send you things like service-related announcements, newsletters, travel recommendations, offers from our business partners and other updates or promotions. Most of the time we'll communicate with you by email, but we may also send you push notifications or even snail mail.
- Legal reasons. We reserve the right to access, use, preserve, transfer or disclose, at any time without notice to you, any information (including Personal Information) as reasonably necessary to:
- Comply with any applicable law, regulation, subpoena or legal process, or respond to any governmental requests and cooperate with law enforcement, if we believe such action is required or permitted by law;
- Enforce our Terms of Service, including investigating any potential violations;
- Protect the safety, integrity, rights or security of our members, our Services or equipment, or any third party; or
- Detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues related to our Services or our business partners.
Ancestry Traveler Travel Apps
Our application ("App") has been developed and is operated and maintained by or on behalf of Ancestry Traveler LLC ("Ancestry Traveler", "we" or "us").
Ancestry Traveler is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information whilst striving to provide the very best user experience. We want our apps to be safe and enjoyable for everyone. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and related laws, we have a legal duty to protect the personal information we collect from you.
The types of personal information we collect and how we collect it
Information you provide upon ‘purchasing’ the App via the App Store: when you purchase the App via an application store (including but not limited to the iTunes App Store, Blackberry App World, Amazon Appstore, Nook Books, Google Play and/or the Windows App Store (“App Store”), you will need to register an account with and provide certain personal information to the App Store, if you have not already done so.
Information you provide upon entering a promotion or competition run in an App: if you enter a promotion or competition run in the App we will use your personal information in accordance with the terms of the promotion or competition.
Information you provide when taking part in a poll or survey run in an App: if you take part in a poll or survey run in an App we will use your personal information in accordance with the terms of the poll or survey.
Email communications: we may use web beacons in our emails to track the success of our marketing campaigns. Our web beacons don’t store any information on your computer but, by communicating with our cookies on your computer, they can tell us when you have opened an email from us.
We may keep track of the emails that we send you. We also keep a record of what communications you have selected to receive or not to receive. If you would like to opt out of receiving such emails, please click the "unsubscribe" link in the email and follow the instructions.
How we use the information that we collect
The relevant App Store owns the information it collects when you purchase this App through the App Store. They may share some of that information with us, depending on the selections you have made. We will use it, as applicable, to:
- Provide you with services or information that you have requested or products or services that you have ordered, such as Apps and subscriptions to Apps
- Confirm or fulfill an order you have submitted
- Inform you if you have won a prize
- Monitor or improve the performance of, and products and services available through, this App
- Monitor compliance with our terms and conditions of use of the App, enforce our rights and protect the safety of others including investigating and if necessary removing any content about which we receive a complaint
- Send you promotional materials or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our group companies and marketing partners. If you do not want to receive this marketing information you can notify us of this as part of the App Store registration process and/or App purchase process. You can stop receiving this information at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions on the correspondence you receive or by amending your marketing preferences, normally in the App Store account management section
- For any purpose if we are required to do so by any law or other regulatory or government authority
Thanks for taking the time to read through all this. If you have questions regarding this policy or privacy practices at Ancestry Traveler, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at: Ancestry Traveler LLC Attention: Legal Department, 6 Union Rd, Stratham NH 03885.